A Spanish-style chicken and rice recipe, made with chicken parts, rice, saffron, garlic, and other vegetables and seasonings. Scroll down to see related chicken recipes.
* 1 broiler-fryer chicken, about 2 1/2 to 3 pounds, cut in serving pieces
* 2 teaspoons salt, divided
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1 can (15 ounce) tomatoes, diced, drained
* 2 large cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
* 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
* 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
* 8 saffron threads
* 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and the paprika; brown lightly in hot olive oil on both sides. Remove chicken; set aside. Sauté onion, red pepper, and tomato until onion is almost transparent. Add garlic and sauté another minute or two. Add rice and pepper sauce. Sauté and stir until the rice is opaque and coated with the fat. Add broth and bring to a boil; crumble saffron into the mixture. Top rice with chicken pieces; cover tightly and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice and chicken are done. Fluff rice with a fork and sprinkle with the peas. Cover and simmer for about 5 to 7 minutes longer. Taste and add more salt or pepper sauce, if necessary. Serve hot.